This COMPLETE SESSION is by Power Hour and was designed for Learning at Work Week in 2018.
This session on Shaping the Future is all about helping you to innovate for the future – whether in a small incremental way, or by making big steps forward. Whether or not we like it or not, the pace of change is ever-increasing and we have an opportunity to drive that future, or be swept along by it.
In particular, by the end of the Power Hour you will be able to:
- Explain different personal styles of innovation and how to get the best out of each
- Describe the IDEA model that can be used to drive innovation in your organisation
- Use a range of techniques to harness your own creativity and shape the future
The CORE session can be run in 60 minutes (though it will be tight!). With the optional material, this Power Hour can be extended to around 2 hours and 40 minutes (without a break).
Content and Structure
- Introduction and objectives, including a fascinating video about the future and our role in it!
- Optional extended discussion around the video and what it means for your organisation
- Your innovation style – input around adaptors and innovators (Michael Kirton) and a group exercise to explore the characteristics of the different types
- Optional group exercise to explore the types in more detail
- IDEA: A process for shaping the future – brief trainer input
- Exploring the IDEA – group work to explore (at a top level) some of the tools and techniques that can be helpful at each stage
- Optional exercise to use the tools and techniques to examine a real-life example that may be developed further and implemented
- Make it work at work – commitment to action to transfer the learning to the workplace.